Cool iPhone Gadgets: iRig
iRig for iPhone/iPad
iRig – suggested retail price $59.95 or on Amazon for about $40
So you’re hanging out on a rainy weekend with nothing much to do but you have your guitar and you’d like to send someone special back home that addictive tune you’ve had in your head. Thing is all you have is your iPhone with it’s so-so audio. Then you remember you read this article on thekencook.com about a portable mini studio type device for your iPhone and you asked for it from your mom for Christmas and there’s a package you still haven’t opened (right, just play along) so you open it and inside there is a … iRig.
Within minutes you have use VocaLive, AmpliTube and iRig Recorder to create a rich, effects filled song you then set to a video which you upload to YouTube. Within hours a mega-producer named Simon something or other sees your video on YouTube and you’re on a private jet on the way to Atlanta to record your … again, play along.
But really – truly – this is one cool piece of equipment. Here are some bullet points from the iRig website:
- Ideal for all vocal applications from singing to speech
- Great for all types of sound recording or processing in music or any other audio application
- Quality condenser-electret unidirectional capsule
- Dual mini-jack connector allows real-time monitoring on headphones, speakers, mixers, PAs
- Rugged, durable metal housing
- Easy to set-up for any sound source
- Can be handheld or placed on a standard mic stand
- Comes with apps for singers and songwriters
- Can be used with a wide variety of other apps
It’s multitrack, has a growing list of available add-ons, works on iPhone or iPad, and it’s very cool.
Not convinced? I am! Even if you’re just doing a daily podcast to recount the days events you can insert a back beat, vocal effects and crazy coolness.